Sunday, February 17, 2008

Celiac?!

I'm currently awaiting the results of some invasive tests searching for the cause of my stomach problems. Since the tests, I've cut out gluten and I feel 100% better. The bitter irony of the self-diagnosed issue is that I work in the pastry business - two years at a boutique bakery, and now am at a high-end restaurant as an assistant pastry chef. Imagine making food for hundreds of people a day, and not being able to taste it! Luckily I have many willing quality-control tasters to help with consistent good taste!
I recently bought from Barry Farms online (http://www.barryfarm.com) 5# of gluten-free "all-purpose" flour and some thickeners (Guar + Xanthum gums) to begin to restore my well-loved recipes to my book. Hopefully I'll be able to refine the tragedies of gluten-free baking to a taste and more over, TEXTURE that is not merely palatable, but DELICIOUS!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what's the deal on this anyway?